The Postpartum Period

I experienced situational depression after my first pregnancy with Christine. Although, it never transpired to anything unmanageable. The winter months are difficult for many of us. With my second pregnancy I opted to increase my medication during the second trimester. I was experiencing routine sleep disturbances and I figured it was worth a try. My sleep improved with the increase. Upon delivery, I resumed my routine dose within a few weeks. I was under the direction of a new psychiatrist at the time. Looking back, the dose was reduced too quickly. The three months following Amelia's birth were unusually stressful due to an increase in visitors and multiple travel plans. This was a frenzied, anxious time in my life with or without an existing mood disorder. Adding bipolar disorder postpartum stress and multiple children into the situation only heightened my anxiety. In the end, I suffered from heightened anxiety and mood swings throughout the winter and spring. I learned several important lessons regarding postpartum medication management and symptom monitoring, which I will discuss in a later post.

Since moving to Texas I have performed various speaking engagements with Mental Health America of Greater Houston (MHA) on the topic of perinatal mental health. The term perinatal refers to the time immediately before and after birth. I expanded on my academic knowledge of postpartum disorders and met countless women and men who were interested in doing the same. 

Feeling irritable, moody and sensitive are signs that you are a new mother!! Eight out of ten new mothers experience what's known as the "baby blues" (Mental Health America, 2014). After you have a baby you are naturally tired, hormonal and overwhelmed. These feelings begin within a few days of giving birth and may last up to 2 weeks postpartum (MHA, 2014). If a woman has disruptive mood symptoms lasting more than 2 weeks postpartum, she should talk to a healthcare professional. It's important to note that half of postnatal depression begins during pregnancy (O'Keane V. and Marsh M., 2007). And a women is at risk for postpartum depression anytime during the first year post delivery. 


Postpartum depression can be recognized with several hallmark signs: sleep disturbance, excessive worry, excessive crying, loss of appetite and outstanding guilt. When I refer to sleep disturbance I'm not referring to the obvious lack of sleep that most new moms are accustomed to. I am referring to the inability to sleep when one's infant is sleeping and chronic insomnia. Other warning signs include: difficulty performing routine daily tasks and thoughts of your own death or the death of the baby. One out of every eight women will experience postpartum depression (MHA, 2014). With one prior episode of postpartum depression, the chance of reoccurrence increases substantially with every subsequent birth.

Intervention comes in many forms. Therapy, medication and social support are the most common treatment avenues. Typically hospitalization is reserved for cases of suicide, infanticide, psychosis or when someone is unable to care for themselves. For women who are interested in remaining on or resuming anti-depressant treatment postpartum, options for breastfeeding while medicated are available. As discussed, in some cases, breastfeeding is not always best. There are many great options for support groups for new mothers experiencing postpartum symptoms which can be found through local hospitals, nonprofits, and mental health organizations. And there are great social networks for new moms searching for community support in general (i.e. Meet up, Facebook, Big Tent, etc.) Check out my resource and community pages for further information on treatment options. 

Postpartum disorders include several other diagnosis not mentioned in this post (postpartum anxiety, postpartum psychosis, and more). They are incredibly common and treatable. Much like the entire scope of mental illness, perinatal mood and anxiety disorders are highly misunderstood and often misinterpreted or ignored. NEVER feel like a "bad mom" because you felt depressed during or after a pregnancy. Know that you are one of thousands of moms who have felt depressed holding a baby. Depression is a medical issue, and it does't mean you are an inadequate or unloving mother. You can thoroughly enjoy your pregnancy and your child in time, with help from your family and community. Do take the first step. Just ASK for help!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Pregnancy

The Attention Economy

It Would Have Been Enough...