My First Pregnancy

I didn't relapse; if anything, my mood improved some. I remember feeling like the best version of myself. I slept well, throughout.  I was calm. Cool. Collected. Well, most days. We moved into our first home. I even helped carry some boxes!

With every passing month, it was clear that we had made the right decision to remain on medication. All my well visits were routine and uneventful, as were the ultrasounds. As a high risk patient in a maternal fetal health practice I was ordered an anatomy ultrasound. The ultrasound tech took pictures for what felt like 45 minutes. A pediatric cardiologist examined the heart, brain and spinal cord for developmental issues. There were none.

Leading up to delivery day you could find me tutoring kids at Kumon, volunteering at a local nursing home or walking on the indoor track at our neighborhood park. Pregnant or not, I prefer to be busy. Having multiple responsibilities and a schedule has always kept me sane and satisfied. 

Our first child, Christine Maria, was born four days early on December 15th. It was snowing that day. I remember my water broke conveniently over the commode. I was in no rush that morning. I wasn't anxious in the least. I even had Ben stop for a Subway sandwich (against his will, I might add) on the ride to the hospital.

Labor was long (as predicted). She wasn't coming out on her own, so I was induced. Active labor lasted roughly 18 hours. Christine arrived healthy. We were overjoyed!

With VERY limited research we made the decision not to breastfeed. I'll cover this topic more in depth a later post. Thankfully four us our daughter took to formula straight away. It was a smooth transition for both of us. She began sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. By 8 weeks she was sleeping 10 hours a night. We had a real keeper! Despite her reflux which resulted in discomfort while eating and constant spitting up, Christine was a very content baby. It's easy to overlook extra laundry when your baby naps and sleeps consistently as a newborn, especially when sleep is vital to your health. I was very grateful!

Our first child was born during what is known now as the "polar vortex" in the midwest. There were several weeks in a row of negative and single digit temperatures. It was depressing and isolating at times. I remember bundling Christine up to go for a walk on a day when it was just 30 degrees outside. I felt low. Mostly cagey. I debated joining a postpartum support group at one point. In the end, I was able to adjust to motherhood in the heavy winter months with the support of continued medication management, family and friends. Shortly after our baby's arrival, Ben received a promotion. A promotion that would take us to sunny Houston. Feeling the weight of the winter captivity, I offered my full support of the move. We would move after just one year in our new home. A home conveniently situated near both our families. It was for the best though. We both had lived in the Chicago-land area our whole lives. We needed a change. And a change it would be!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Attention Economy

The Good Life is a Dance